get_paged_slices

Developer
Jun 5, 2012 at 5:10 PM
Edited Jun 5, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I have entered a topic about paging in workitem 37, but I guess I should have started this as a discussion rather than issue, sorry about that. Now I'm re-starting the discussion.

I made some more thoughts, and just wanted to share, hoping doing so may make our thoughts clearer.

One catch I found was, if we were going to support column paging, we would have to expose a new property because List<Column> cannot support paging.

I guess the new property probably will look something like:

public CassandraQueryable<CassandraEntity<IEnumerable<Column>>> Columns

The name "Columns" is consistent with existing properties, but it could be confusing for new users, because what it actually returns is a sequence of rows, and each row has columns.

The initial design might have chosen "Column" or "ColumnList" because it needs to distinguish from SuperColumn, but now SuperColumn is deprecated. I wonder "Rows" maybe a better name.

And that said, as sabro said, it'd probably be a rather major change to support get_paged_slice. Developers have to use new APIs to get its benefit.

Am I on the right track? Any opinions?

Coordinator
Jun 6, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Oops, I didn't know SuperColumn is deprecated. But I look like not deprecated in ver1.1 yet.

In either case, We should take major change in near future.

I agree the name "Columns".

If SuperColumn has deprecated, probabry we should keep to support SuperColumn with Obsolute attribute.

So perhaps, we continue using "Column" and "ColumnList".

We should be carefuly to change architecture.

Shall we continue discussion and watching action of cassandra.

Developer
Jun 7, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Ah...sorry, "deprecated" is probably too much to say. I read some article that composite type provides features SuperColumn does, the author believes it should replace SuperColumn, and he thinks SuperColumn is deprecated since it adds complexity to the code base, but I don't really remember who he is nor if he's really doing so. Reading one column in a SuperColumn actually reads the whole SuperColumn, so its efficiency is the same as composite types he claimed. I was suffered by the performance of SuperColumn because the original author of my project puts too many columns in a SuperColumn, so I might have liked the article too much.

Coordinator
Jun 8, 2012 at 3:24 AM

OK, I understood.

By the way, when should we implement get_paged_slice?

I want to implement this feature by myself but now I am doing other job until end of June.

Now Infomation of get_paged_slice is too low. We must collect more infomation.

So I think no problem to implement it one month later.

Google Search Result  458 only ...

https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=get_paged_slice

What do you think? And do you want to implement this feature?

Developer
Jun 10, 2012 at 8:01 PM

For now, I'm very happy with my row-paging, and I don't have needs for column-paging, so months later is fine with me. Also, we're unlikely to move to 1.1 until it's got stable, so I might not be able to help much until we move to 1.1.